Those are the words my doctor told me almost 20 years ago when I was exposed to some infectious disease while working as EMT. All I can remember I was so upset that I was exposed and then the torture of not leaving home for almost a week.
Well, here we are in 2020 and all you hear is about Coronavirus. It seems like the government is saying is nothing to worry about, its nothing. (It makes me nervous anytime the government says there is nothing to worry about).
Now the Washinton State has declared a state of emergency and exposure seems like it is doubling.
Last week I actually went to the store to stock up on some basic emergency supplies. We all know we should be prepared for an emergency especially living in California. I just think this situation made me speed up and I also know what it is like to been confined to your home for a week.
The final straw that broke the camels back for me was when my personal doctor sent us a message about her take on the Corona Virus. I have posted here message below.
Please take this seriously.
It’s better to be prepared and not need to do anything.
Former EMT & Army Medic
Hi there, this is Dr. Bradshaw, as your physician I wanted to make sure that you have been getting the most correct and updated information on the Corona virus known as COVID-19. Trumps administration is not being truthful and forthcoming, so here is my latest updated facts for you as related by the Centers for Disease Control.
- COVID -19 is here, it is in multiple counties of California with suspected local cases awaiting confirmation.
- Community spread to people who have not traveled or been around travelers has occurred with at least 6 cases currently and more awaiting confirmation.
- Exposed health care workers have also contracted the disease.
- Many counties in California have already declared an emergency.
- The states of Washington has declared a statewide emergency with multiple confirmed community-acquired cases, some schools have been shut down and Washington state has confirmed deaths from COVID-19.
- My current recommendations to you are:
- hand wash, hand wash, hand wash
- Try to stay away from people who look ill this virus is transmitted respiratorily up to 6 feet.
- Stock up on essential food and toiletries and avoid going to the store if it is not necessary.
- It is recommended that you prepare for sick people within your own home, have a home plan and consider an isolation room for members of your household that may become sick.
- Use sanitizing wipes when possible, we do not yet have confirmation that they kill the virus we are awaiting that information.
- Please note that this virus has on average a 6 day incubation period in which an individual may pass it to other individuals before they even know they have it themselves.
- Try not to go out to eat
- Use common sense. If you can avoid going into crowded situations avoid it, if you must go into crowded situations and you have an n95 mask use it.
- 80% of people who get this disease will have only mild respiratory symptoms. The remaining 20% may become seriously ill with an average death rate of 2 in 100 people or 2%. If you are mildly sick stay home. If you start to experience significant fevers and shortness of breath is when you should seek emergency care.
I will give further updates as I am able to obtain them.